An apprenticeship is a government funded training programme in-line with defined industry standards.

Apprenticeships are for both new and existing members of staff who wish to recognise and develop their skills. They provide a means for employers to upskill their staff members using government funding.

Apprenticeships are an effective way for businesses to grow their own talent by developing a motivated, skilled and qualified workforce. Oxford College of Apprenticeships works closely with each individual employer to create a programme which will best benefit the business and their needs.

Oxford College of Apprenticeships offer a wide variety of training in different areas. These include Marketing, Sales, Procurement, Project Management and more. If you are unsure of the most appropriate area and level then please do get in touch on 01865 515 255 or via email at

The umbrella organisation, Oxford Professional Education Group have a history spanning 20+ years of delivering high quality professional qualifications from bodies such as Charted Institute of Marketing (CIM), Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS), Association of Professional Sales (APS) and Association of Project Management (APM). As subject matter specialists in such areas, this puts Oxford College of Apprenticeships in an excellent position to deliver apprenticeships in Marketing, Sales, Procurement and Supply Chain Management, and Project Management to name just a few.

Apprenticeships will be delivered through a blended approach to learning, combing the use of a dedicated e-learning platform, optional face-to-face classroom sessions, one-to-one visits by an experienced trainer and virtual workshops. Oxford College of Apprenticeships are able to cater for each individual employer’s needs, putting together bespoke programmes to best suit the business.

Each apprenticeship has a funding band which is set by the IFA, and will range in cost depending on the level. Levy paying employers will pay the total cost from their online Apprenticeship Service Account. For those who do not pay into the Levy, the government will pay 90% of their apprenticeship training costs. The remaining 10% is paid by the employer. Those who are unsure should contact a member of the Oxford College of Apprenticeships team on 01865 515 255 or via email at

Apprenticeships range in duration from a minimum of 12 months to a maximum of 30 months. More information can be found on the individual apprenticeship standards. Towards the end of the apprenticeship, when all knowledge, skills and behaviour elements have been undertaken and demonstrated, apprentices will move on to the end-point assessment phase. For those who are unsure, please do give our Apprenticeship team a call on 01865 515 255, or via email at

Each apprenticeship is assessed in a different way, usually via a combination of portfolio work, a presentation and professional discussion, and in some cases an examination. Through regular one-to-one visits by an experienced trainer, Oxford College of Apprenticeships will work closely with the learner and the employer to develop their final project and ensure progress is being made towards end-point assessment.

All employers – private and public sector – are liable to pay the levy. There is a £15,000 annual tax free allowance so the levy will only be paid to HMRC where your annual payroll bill exceeds £3m.

The levy is set at 0.5% of your total UK pay bill. An annual allowance of £15,000 will be deducted from this.

The levy came into force in April 2017. Employers must declare the levy payable based on payroll year to date each month. You can use HMRC’s Basic PAYE Tools to help you work out how much you need to pay.

For the first month of the tax year:

  1. Divide your Apprenticeship Levy allowance by 12.
  2. Subtract this figure from 0.5% of your monthly pay bill.

For each of the following months:

  1. Calculate your total pay bill for the year to date.
  2. Add up your monthly levy allowances for the year to date.
  3. Subtract your levy allowance for the year to date from 0.5% of your total pay bill for the year to date.
  4. Subtract the amount of the levy you’ve paid in the year to date.

If you start paying the levy part way through the tax year, you’ll need to calculate how much of your annual allowance has been accumulated in the current year. Divide your full annual allowance by 12 and multiply by the number of months since the start of the tax year. This figure is your allowance for the first month you report the levy.

Any unused allowance can be carried forward into the next month within the same tax year.