The government Apprenticeship Levy scheme was introduced on the 6th April 2017. From this point on, all employers with an annual wage bill of £3 million or more will contribute 0.5% of this for the training of staff via apprenticeships.

Any unused funds will expire 24 months after they enter an employer’s account. For example, funds entering your account in September 2017 will expire in September 2019. For full details on the levy and how to use it, please click here.

What are the options for smaller businesses?

Non-levy paying employers will share the cost of training and assessing their apprentices with the government – this is called ‘co-investment’. Oxford College of Apprenticeships are able to support a limited number of Co-funded apprenticeships.

From May 2017, employers can pay 10% towards to the cost of apprenticeship training and the government will pay the rest (90%), up to the funding band maximum. For example, an apprenticeship with a funding band of £9,000 will mean that the employer needs to pay £900 in total. Funds will be paid monthly, making it manageable for smaller businesses to still get the most out of the apprenticeship scheme.

If you are from a levy-paying organisation or an SME and are interested in finding out more about how the levy works please do Contact Us on 01865 515 255, or via email at enquiries@oxfordpeg.com.

Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education

Oxford College of Apprenticeships is part of the Oxford Professional Education Group and is approved by the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education and is listed on the Register of Training Apprentice Providers (RoTAP).

Get in touch with the Oxford College of Apprenticeships